Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Bend in the Road

What a beautiful morning!
Welcome to Heaven's Walk today!



I decided this morning that a bend in the road can be a really good thing.

 I laced on my fav workout shoes after hopping out of bed to take advantage of this warm, sunshiny morning and grabbed my camera on the way out the door.  I wanted to share a little more of my world with you.




The dogwoods were in full bloom. Beautiful, little puffs of pure,clean, white in the dark green woods. (I tried planting some in our yard last year. Pretty pink Katsuras. But the oh-so-hungry deer ate them right down to the ground. I replaced them with crabapples planted much closer to the house. We'll see how that goes.)


Heading down the first hill brings me to where I hear all the grand old bullfrogs calling to each other (and where I always, for some odd reason, have to sidestep a racoon roadkill...yeah, that's pleasant...and no, I won't share pics with you regarding that issue.)

Heading up the other side of the hill, a pair of Canadian geese were honking and looking for the perfect spot to nest their eggs, leaving a small, steady wake behind them as they made their way across the pond.


I pass by wide open fields surrounded by old, broken fences and forgotten grapevines...



...newly planted wheat fields and far off lakes...


...and big, statuesque trees hugging green meadows.


Beautiful rolling farmland...



...that seemed to go on forever.


When I see 'the glen', as I call it, I know I'm close to my most favorite view along the way.


I can see the lake through the trees and huff and puff my way up the big hill to the top.  My calf muscles burning as they carry me up to where the wind catches my breath and my whips my hair...


where tidy little lakeside cottages are tucked in among the trees.


And there.....Shimmer Lake greets me.  


Beautiful, isn't it?  That's not the true name of this lake, but when I saw it for the first time, I knew it deserved a much more appropriate name. I always love how the morning sun shimmers and sparkles in the breeze. The deep blue sky reflecting in it's depth. Mesmerizing. I'm in love with it. Total eye candy for this country gal pining to see water outside her windows once again. It's a peaceful, quiet lake. I never see anyone out on it. Someday, I'd love to build a quaint little summer cottage on it's shore...


...nestled along the trees somewhere with a grand view of the peaceful, sparkling bay.


I know I've lingered long enough when drivers passing by crane their necks to stare at the crazy woman with the wild hair standing in the field, staring off in the distance. "Crazy as a jaybird!" I'm sure they're thinking.


So I turn to head back home - but grab one more photo of my little lake, promising to return tomorrow morning to gaze and dream some more...

So at the bend in my road, there is my lake.

Shimmer Lake.  

A little piece of heaven that holds a special place in my heart.

I pray that there is a Shimmer Lake in the bend in your road today....

~ laurie


3 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie!
    Wow, you really have a little slice of heaven there, don't you? So beautiful and peaceful, thank you for sharing these amazing photos. :-)

    All the best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sis...beautiful pics, as always. Love your lake...so peaceful.
    No wonder you love to walk in the morning!
    Hugs,
    Debbie@houseatthelake
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-I LOVE your Shimmer Lake. When we were on Lake Michigan we always called it Shiver Lake because it was so darned cold. Your "spot" on earth is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie